02 Aug Choosing an Assisted Living Facility For Seniors
CHOOSING AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY FOR SENIORS: TIPS AND TRICKS
As our population ages, senior living facilities are becoming increasingly popular as an option for seniors needing assisted living. Senior living can seem scary at first, but with these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to achieve optimal senior living in no time.
Allowing your aging loved one to live as independently as possible while also receiving the care they need to stay healthy and safe can be difficult if you’re not sure where to start. One of the best things you can do is find and hire trusted professionals who will ensure that your senior loved one gets the help they need with things like laundry, cooking, cleaning, transportation and more, all while keeping them in their home in their community.
This guide to senior living aims to answer all of your questions while helping you through the process of choosing which type of senior living option is right for you or your loved one. Keep reading to learn more about what to expect and choose wisely. This guide has everything you need to make the most of your senior living experience in Melbourne, FL.
Understanding Assisted Living
Most people are familiar with assisted living, but fewer know what it entails. Assisted living is a type of housing designed for seniors who need help with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, and eating. There are many assisted living homes, each with its benefits. The most common type is the traditional assisted living facility, which offers 24-hour care and support.
Memory care facilities also specialize in caring for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. There are supportive living communities for seniors who want to remain independent. These provide a safe and supportive environment without the around-the-clock care of an assisted living facility.
What You Need to Know Before Moving Into an Assisted Care Home
If you’re considering a move to an assisted care facility, there are a few things you should know before making the decision. Research the different types of facilities available and find one that matches your needs. Make sure you’re financially prepared for the move. Visit the facility and meet the staff to get a feel for the environment. Pack only what you need – you’ll have less space in your new home.
There are a lot of factors to consider when finding the best senior living situation for your loved one. Finding a safe and comfortable place with caring and qualified staff is crucial. Here are a few tips to help you find the best fit for your loved one:
- Define what you’re looking for. Make a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves, and be realistic about what you can afford.
- Do your research. Compare costs, activities, staff qualifications, and amenities. With so many options available in the Melbourne, FL, area it is important to do thorough research.
- Review your financial plan to determine what you can afford. At https://www.aarp.org/ there are many great resources to assist in your financial assessment including this calculator – https://www.aarp.org/work/retirement-planning/retirement_calculator/.
- Tour the facility in person to get a feel for it.
- Ask questions like: Is there an on-site doctor? How often does someone come into the apartments? What happens if I need extra care or want more attention? Who is on their wellness team?
- If possible, spend time with other residents to get their perspective before deciding which facility would work best for your family member or friend
Essential Items to Discuss With a New Home After Moving In
It’s normal to feel a bit overwhelmed after deciding to move into a new home, especially if it’s a senior living facility. To help ease the transition, here are a few important things to discuss with your new home:
- What are the rules and regulations? What is expected of residents?
- What amenities are available, and how do they work?
- How does the meal plan work? Do residents need to schedule themselves for meals, or can they eat whenever they please. Click to view the Chef’s Specials today at Zon Beachside: https://caresynchronyvoiceservices.azurewebsites.net/signage/customers/zon/zon_specials.html
- What activities are available and ask for a copy of the activity calendar. Click here to view Zon Beachside’s Activity Calendar https://zonbeachside.com/wp-content/uploads/Assisted-Living.pdf.
As we age, our needs change. Our homes may become too large or complex to maintain, we may need assistance with activities of daily living, or we may want to downsize and simplify our lives. Whatever the reason, deciding to move to a senior living community is enormous. But it doesn’t have to be overwhelming when choosing an Assisted Living Facility for a Senior.